Thursday, February 01, 2007

Double standard

More than a year ago, I was pulled over on Lincoln Road just before the bridge where you turn right for the motorway on ramp. Here's a recap...I was at the traffic light just before on the bus lane. When the light turned green, I went straight then changed lane to the right so I can get into the motorway traffic lane. I was pulled over for doing this. It was early morning around 7ish. There were two cop cars and at least 2 cops waiting just before the bridge gathering revenue.

Some might say I'm too hard on the cops and that they are just doing their jobs. Well here's what I saw today...

I was on the same road this morning. Around where Pak N Save is, I spotted a police car 3 cars in front of me on the left lane. The right lane queue was long with the tail ending around just after the Caltex station. So I do what I normally do which is ride on the left lane and changing lanes at the end near the traffic light or just after. In front of the cop car was a motorcycle and in front of that was a reddish car. I proceeded to change lane just before the traffic light and around this time, the motorcyle in front of the police car decided to change lane to the right but at the same time the reddish car in front of the motorcycle decided to change lane to the right in the last minute cutting the motorcycle off. The section where he changed lane is a solid white line just before the West Bound motorway on ramp which means he cannot change lane there and should have gone straight. This caused a slight traffic halt and a lot of horn beeping. I thought to myself...you're in trouble now! The cops are behind you. You will definitely get tickets. To my surprise, the cop car did not stop but instead it let the two vehicles battle it out into the right lane and itself swerved to the left to get into the west bound on ramp!

WTF?! I got a ticket doing something a lot more legal than this and these two didn't get pulled over?

Oh..... I realise now...The cop could be off-duty and he's reached his ticketing quota for his shift. He must have been working hard all night then to ignore such a traffic incident like this. Or perhaps he hasn't had his morning donut yet...oh wait...those are bad american cops.

No comments: