Sunday, July 13, 2008

iPhone 3G Disappointment

After weeks of waiting for the iPhone 3G, the week was finally here. I was excited to hear the news that the only two store chains selling the iPhone 3G opened their doors online to allow pre-orders. This was different from the pre-registrations a month ago which the Carphone Warehouse and O2 used to gauge public demand.

So I attempted to pre-order last monday (9th July) but due to high demand, the Carphone Warehouse and o2 Web site crashed a few times. I decided to phone Carphone Warehouse and the lady behind the phone was kind enough to process my pre-order via phone. BUT, they want three years of UK address history and as I've only been here since April, I cannot give her what she needed to process my pre-order.

Somehow it didn't matter that I'm already an O2 customer so surely this requirement can be bypassed.

As I was at work, I decided to wait until I got home. Unfortunately all online stocks were sold out by the time I got home. The sites instructed visitors to come back on or after July 10th, with 11th being the big day.

Three days ago I went back on the Carphone Warehouse site and YES! there it was the pre-ordering is back online. This time I didn't take any chances and ordered online. I received confirmation in the mail that my order was submitted successfully. So I am happy and more relaxed now. The email instructions said my order will be ready for pick the following day if it was ordered before 3pm. My order went through around 3.30pm so I thought saturday was ok for me as long as my order went through. Come friday morning...the big launch day....on my way to work I swung by the Carphone Warehouse store closest to my work. There was a queue of about 2 dozen people. I thought about waiting in line but since I have a lot to do at work I decided to trust the pre-ordering system.

Around mid-morning, I received the terrible news the my pre-order was cancelled! I was furious! I called them up straight away but no one at Carphone Warehouse knew the reason. There is nothing much I can do that day as I am busy at work.

Saturday...hoping....by friday midday all iPhone 3G 16 GB stocks have sold out. But I was hoping that I can walk into a Carphone Warehouse or O2 store and get one yesterday. All bad news except for Carphone Warehouse the 8GB version is still available. I spent the whole day yesterday very tempted to just settle for the 8GB but since I'm getting into an 18 month contract and that 16GB is only 60% more in price, I kept pulling myself back. Today I wake up still considring it.

VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

What I don't understand is why they don't allow current O2 customers to order an upgrade online. I understand there is no stock but at least they can take the order and upgrade orders can be fullfilled as the products get delivered from Apple. All I want to is order mine so I do not have to physically go to a store and queue. We are in a digital world and gone should be the days where we physically queue up! Ok, they have security checks and in-store activation....fine but at least allow online ordering for upgrades and when the time comes I'll go to a store and pick them up! The least O2 can do is take care of existing customers. But then again this is London where you get charged 10% for non-existent service.

I'm still waiting to get my hands on an iPhone! Arrrgghh...

No comments: