Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The correct way to hold a knife

I was in a restaurant earlier this afternoon and got into the
discussion of how to correctly hold a knife on the table. I am
referring to ordinary steak or bread knives. As I looked around the
restaurant, different people hold knives in different ways.

There are three ways that I can think of:

1) Joystick grip - with blade pointing down.

2) Sword grip - with blade pointing up.

3) Pen grip

I hold mine like no 2 using my index finger to apply pressure on the
blade and control my steak cutting. I also believe this provides the
best control and is the universal method of holding a knife.

As for no 1, no one would hold a knife like that unless they want to
stab something or someone. This leaves us no 3 and surprisingly I
found a couple of people using this method. One was a child. Frankly I
don't think this is an effective method. Not only do you look like a
sissy holding your knife this way but you'll never get enough force on
your blade if you are cutting anything tougher then gelo.

So how do you hold yours?

------------------------
Pogz Unplugged

1 comment:

Unknown said...

numero dos as well, mate.