Wednesday, September 28, 2005

More Office Bullshit

I'm pretty sure I've made so many entries about this but here is another one.

Nearly a month ago I was approached by the IT department to help work
on a site for another department. I had to ask permission from my
manager since I report to him and he is not the sponsor of this
project. So we had a chat and he said that he knows this is good
experience for me and it will help my career so he is happy with it.
As long as he knows what I'm doing. i.e. he doesn't want me to go and
do work for different departments without his permission. Since I have
his permission on this then I thought he was happy.

So I carried out the work and yesterday was finalising some minor
details. Behind me is our designer and she tipped off my manager that
I was doing work on it. (I finished the bulk of it 2 weeks ago). Now
the manager says that he is not happy at all about it. My question is,
if he is not happy about it then why give me permission to do it in
the first place? I do not mind if he does not give me permission to do
it. The two fuck faces are now telling each other that soon all other
departments will come to me to do work. Which is of course what my
manager would not like.

He says he wish I would do redesign work on our stuff. Let me tell you
this. 4 months ago I did that work. To the point where it was ready
for lauch. I did the work from beginning to end with his permission
and sign off. What happened? He was over-ruled by his boss and all my
work went down the drain.

Another example. 8 months ago I did a redesign on another job. This
one I worked hard on. Me and him put our brains together, the design
was signed off by several people, I did all the work until it was
ready for launch and what happened? He was over-ruled by another
person in Australia. Again my work went down the drain.

I'm just about to start another one. I've done a prelim design and
doco on this and he seems happy with. I know this will go ahead
because it is to do with an event. However, he is playing a different
political shit this time. My job is to create and administer the
project, clean up results and present to them. He is worried that the
event may not be successful and we might not get enough people. I
personally think this is a marketing matter because it is marketing
that is suppose to put the word out there but he is laying this down
over my shoulder. He said it is my responsibility to talk to people
and promote this. How am I suppose to do this? Does my job title now
include marketing? So now I do not only develop, but I also do
support, writing, administration, subscription, call centre, and now
marketing?!?!?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you got an effin retard for a boss. sorry to hear, bro. i hope he's not trying to manage you out either. sounds like he's got spies around you too. BOOMHEADSHOT them suckers!

Shakoo said...

unlike your siblings, you can choose who you're manager is :-) when is enough, enough?

time to jump ship? or at least move to a different part of the ship, far enough away that you won't need to deal with those sods...