Monday, March 24, 2008

Feels weird to be unemployed

My last day at work was 20th Mar and for almost 2 weeks, I've been doing a lot of handovers. I think it was almost a wake up call for the company to see how much stuff I actually do that is taken for granted. For some stupid reason I tend to take on things that no one else want to do and now that I've left, everyone's suddenly your friend and they say "who will do this when you're gone?" I'm speechless usually as I really do not know who can do them. In my mind I think "Why don't you do it then? It is in your area..."

Anyway, I'm not sour as I've taken them on to prove something and seeing colleagues scramble like this is the ultimate proof to myself that I was contributing or, at least, am somewhat important to the company.

Thursday was the weirdest and as I've never really quit a job before, I didn't quite know what to expect. It was not exactly how I imagined it. I wasn't expecting much and in a way I'm glad I didn't because the last day was somewhat fulfilling.

I was sad of course as I've come to know a lot of people at work. I've been blessed to know people from a lot of different departments. There were at least 2 people with teary eyes and one of them was from someone I never thought would cry (for me). I would miss them...

I'm very grateful to a handful of people who organised my farewell drinks. Actually it was funny how they invited everyone else except me. I didn't actually know I had farewell drinks planned until a couple of days before and only found out what time it was on that morning. My own boss turned up quite late but I suppose he did have a meeting at the time and it looked important.

Generally it was a good last day. More stressful than I thought it would be. My sense of responsibility got in the way. I will miss a lot of people there but they've all become friends and I'm sure I will see them again in the future.

No comments: