Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Tony Ryall Speech: Getting tough on crime

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA0506/S00623.htm

I do agree with the points made. With the current 111 system, why call
the police if you know they'll send a taxi...sometimes.

The problem is the Police spend too much time on gathering revenue. No
wonder they say they don't have enough police handling cases.

In my previous posting, I spoke about the second theft case. What I
forgot to mention is that when I called the police about this and ask
for them to send a car over to investigate in fear that the offender
might still be in the area, I was told by the operator that there are
no police available.

After I hung up, I phoned a colleague and told him about the incident.
He told me that he was just on the N/W Mway where there were 3 speed
traps gathering revenue.

Question: Why didn't they pull out one of these traps to investigate?
They can always resume their revenue gathering later.

I've spoken to a few people about this. There was one person in
particular that surprise me with her answer. She told me.."Have you
contacted victim support? They have people to help you get over these
things and move on. These things happen. You cannot blame the police."

Cannot blame the police??? Get over it??? I'm not even on it until
this dairy fella got killed
(http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?ObjectID=10331639). What I can
say to this woman is I hope all crimes happen to you and your home
since you seem to dismiss them happily.

Tha fact here is, if the police listen to the cases in the area and
know that crime is rising, then increase the police presence in the
area, this would not have happened.

Got interviewed by TVNZ the other day about this but it never appeared
on One News. Hmm..not enough material or filtered by the government??

Don't matter. I'm not obsessed by it being shown. Didn't even bother getting a blank tape.

No comments: