Sunday, May 07, 2006

Hmmm...Ice Cream....


I like kitchen appliances in general and along with the whole line of Breville 800 class kitchen appliances (which includes blenders and expresso machines), I've been looking at ice cream makers and food driers. I like the 800 class because they look commerical, professional, and they are stainless steel, hargh, hargh, hargh...

One of the things I got for my bday was an ice cream maker. Very nice machine, line with shiny bits. The control on top is simple. One on/off switch and a LCD screen with a really cool blue backlight. There is something about cool blue, ain't it?

So...yesterday I made my first home made ice cream. The machine didnt quite freeze the ice cream properly but I have a feeling it was user error. I was suppose to freeze the container for at least 24 hours at -18 C. Since I was in a hurry to use it and demonstrate it, I only manage to freeze it 22 hours at normal freezer temperature (whatever that maybe).

Still, I think it is really great. You turn the machine on and pour in the mixture (which is something I've prepared earlier ;)). The machine will turn the mixture while the container freezes it. The machine turns off by itself (this model does) and I ended up with a soft serve textured ice cream. I suppose I can serve it immediately if it is to be consumed right away. After all this is gourmet ice cream.

The ice cream was yummy. The machine doesn't make it yummy of course. I spent the night before preparing the mixture and didnt go to bed till 1am.

The ice cream is pretty much set now. I'm not sure if the ingredients I used had high enough fat content because the ice cream has an almost gelato feel to it. It is quite light. All good though as it is more refreshing than normal tip tops.

What did I make? ..... My first home made ice cream happens to be "Baileys" flavoured!

5 comments:

B0LoG3R said...

Is that Ube flavoured ice-cream in your fridge?

Pogz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

yo pogz, is that really your id pix?

B0LoG3R said...

did someone hack your profile?

Shakoo said...

nahhh he's just linked to a pic on a site that doesn't like people linking to their pics and so did that :-) teeheeee ^_^