Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Movie Review: Xmen III The Last Stand

This movie has had mixed reactions among us Kuyas. Personally, I think it was an ok movie. However, I seldom get disappointed with a movie and I always give it a chance knowing that each time I watch a movie, I understand how the movie was created by a different director, different writer, and each time, the graphics and effects would most likely be different or would have improved due to various technological advances.

I found Xmen III to be quite intense. Perhaps it is because there is war going on. I found that there’s too much death (of course consistent with war) that is somehow not what you would expect from a comic book fiction. Graphics as usual was quite good. Effects were quite good there’s been some interesting mutant powers featured in this film.


Jean Grey/Phoenix didn’t quite turn out the way I imagined. She seemed so cold and ruthless. My Marvel-reading Kuyas can confirm whether this is in line with Marvel’s depiction of the character. It is sad and disappointing that several major characters died. (I can’t say anymore for those who haven’t seen the movie). Rogue as usual is probably the most useless mutant. I have a feeling that this role damaged Anna Paquin’s profile and image in Hollywood. That’s ok Anna, come back to NZ and do a couple of Shorty Street episodes.
One funny thing my wife asked me..."What does The Beast do?" :) implying that he seems useless and that his only mutation is his blue skin and hair.

The very last scene was unclear. Did he or did he not move the chess piece?



Here are some award-winning comments from other Kuyas who’s seen the film:

Rem (pretend Kuya i.e. not a contributor in this blog)
It sucked

B0LOG3R
I thought the movie was short :-)

JIGGASAURUS
I thought it the story sucked and there was lame direction.. good graphics tho...

They've also just deviated too much from the original.. it doesn't even feel like X Men anymore... more like Lavagirl and Sharkboy crap (not that I've seen it)

Overall I gave it 3 out of 10

I've been an Xmen fan since childhood and I can't say enough about how much the characters, the interaction and the creative stories always captivated me. This latest installment, The Last Stand, was downright boring. Let me quickly explain:

Xmen 1 - Mags wanted to turn everyone into mutants Xmen 2 - Government dude wanted to kill all mutants Xmen 3 - Government trying to cure every mutant
It's consistent themeing but I think it's already been well-stressed enough.

Three (because it's part 3) personal beefs with the movie:

1) I've had enough of the Jean Grey/Wolverine/Cyclops tryst. Don't get me wrong, they're of course probably the most famous of mutants but it's not really about just them, is it? Great to see Angel make his debut but just a token one same with Kitty Pryde/Colossus (again)/Juggy etc.

2) Cheese, cheese, cheese. Visually the movie was great - the awesome power of Magneto/Phoenix displayed and many more mutants this time around. But some cheesy parts eg, Cannonball special and Wolvy appears from the rear of the Sentinel head.. or the pre-ending shot of Wolvy staring in the distance panning out. Oh, and lest we forget the Magneto moving the chessboard piece ending..

3) Holey stories, Batman! For example, with Magneto de-powered, a criminal with that kind of record I doubt they'd just put him in a rest home to live out the rest of his 'peaceful' life. How about a life prison sentence in a maximum security jail?

I guess with the thousands of possibilities of stories that they could've told, they settled for a movie that just barely floats in the sea of hollywood mediocrity.

'Nuff said.

el Niño

i'm not one to think that the movies should reflect the comicbook a hundred percent (this was pretty obvious from the first film... hello, leather!), but to this humble graphic novel enthusiast, it is believably a film about the X-Men. the third instalment is a joyride that's much more enjoyable than Van Helsing in terms of roller-coaster scenes and almost rivals the special effects of the Matrix Reloaded by representing the mutant abilities in a realistic light (i won't include Angel here though).

i give this a rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars because, although I would recommend this to anyone, the film isn't a perfect comicbook-related x-perience for me.

i only have a couple of gripes: 1) Juggernaut should've died when Shadowcat pulled him down into the earth (never mind about his costume) and 2) who the hell is that porcupine kid (Gambit or Psylocke would've have been more x-citing)?

the performances of Stewart, McKellen, and of course (introducing!) Grammer were flawless. loved the phoenix. loved the death of cyclops. loved the 15-second clip that came after the credits. x marks the spot for me on this one.

eXcelsior!

No comments: