Monday, June 12, 2006

Bahay Kubo

I'm on holiday right now, the majority of which I'll be spending ouside of the country in Sydney. Arrived here on Saturday early evening. The first thing that my girlfriend's sister asked was if we wanted filo (short for filipino) food for dinner. Personally, I'll eat most anything really as I
like to keep my mind open to new experiences & taste sensations. My girlfriend just loves filo food to death, probably even more so since we don't really cook it at home. So she immediately said yes and started to think about what she would order (she's been to Bahay Kubo - the name of the filo restaurant, which also had a karaoke stage - several times before as she used to live in Sydney)...

So after taking an innumerable number of turns and frantic lane-changing (did I mention that I think that Sydney-siders are crazy drivers? However that is a subject for another blog) we reached our destination 40 minutes later.

Bahay Kubo was a cozy place in Lidcombe (south sydney) that had about a dozen tables that could sit 4-6 people... and they were all either currently occupied or had been reserved already. While confirming with that waitress that we in fact did NOT have a reservation, a kind lady overheard us and helpfully pointed out that she was just waiting for a takeaway order
and so we could take her table after.

Now let me tell you what we had for dinner at Bahay Kubo:
crispy pata (very nice)
pansit palabok (the best I've ever tasted)
pork chop (ok, nothing to write home about)
longanisa (wasn't too shabby)
prawn sinigang (not too bad either)

The servings were a very good size for the price & very yummy... in fact, I'd have to say that the palabok was the best that I've ever tasted... seriously...

There were dishes on the menu that I had never heard of before (not that hard seeing as the menu was in tagalog and the filipino dialect that I grew up learning was bisaya... and the only reason(s) that we had for not having them was either due to them having sold out on that dish
already (it was only 7pm at that point) or that the dish would take nearly an hour to prepare (which we couldn't really be arsed waiting for)...

We were just so stuffed at the end of it, what initial plans of having halo-halo for dessert were reluctantly discarded... So since filo food has been ticked on my checklist of things to eat while
in Sydney, I've got filo ice cream next, or more specifically ube macapuno ice cream... oh, and there's this place that does the best thai dry chilli chicken that I've ever tasted which I ALWAYS go to when in Sydney... musn't forget to have dinner in Darling Harbour as well... oh and the spanish quarter definitely... mmmm...

I'll keep you all posted.

-------------
Sent from my Treo

No comments: