Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Haha...power cut

Yesterday was a weird day. First the traffic was really bad going to work. Waves were breaking over the causeway on SH16 going into the city. I didn't ride my bike yesterday due to plans for later in the evening. When we got to the causeway, it wasn't even that bad. The water splashes don't even pass the bus lane!!! The only reason traffic was bad was because everyone was rubber necking.

Anyway around the time we reached Western Springs, the radio died, then it came back on, then it died again. All the stations were dead. Odd I thought. Exited on Newton and the lights were not working. Got to work and the lights are still not working. Took me a while to cross the Fanshawe st pedestrian crossing because the cars would not stop.

Got to work and the emergency lights were on. THERE IS NO POWER! So we waited a while and was told that a generator is due to arrive around 10am. 11am still no generator. Later found out that it is now due around 2pm. So we were sent home. I decided to stay.

Went to lunch and on my way home, some of the lights were working so I decided to go back to the office. Got there and power's back on so I stayed on and did some work.

All-in-all it was an interesting non-routine day. And it was all due to Transpower not doing their job...nah actually the weather was to blame. A power line snapped and landed on a "feeder". This affected a lot of businesses. Today we received an apology from Transpower.



No comments: