Sunday, October 01, 2006

Friends and weddings

After last weekend, I was contacted by another old friend. This time it was an old friend back in my uni days. Amilia use to be in my class, mostly science papers. When was the first time I met her?...hmm. I think it was in my second or third yr. We were introduced by this malaysian dude Kai.

I remembered back then she was always smiling and joking around. Very very seldom you can have a serious conversation with her. Not in a bad way though. I mean the conversations are always happy and not sad.

She is now getting married in 6 days! Come Oct 7 she will tie the knot. I've been chatting with her for the past couple of days. She's panicking like any bride-to-be would. About the event, about the clothes, about shoes, etc. But I'm sure when the time comes, on the day, everything will be fine. Somehow there is this calmness on the day and so far I've never seen a bride who is not calm on their wedding day.

I did give her some advice and told her that usually these arrangements etc are carried out by the bridal party. That is why they are there. They are not there just to pose you know. That's traditionally anyway. Nowadays, the bridal party don't do much. They do help out a little but the true responsibilities of the bridemaids and groomsmen (hint in the name) have somehow been lost in time.

That's ok. Couples today hire or assign wedding managers! This can be a friend, someone at the function centre, or a relative like a brother or uncle, auntie, whoever...

There are two kuyas getting married soon. I wonder how they are doing with plans...Ever since the announcement a year ago, I haven't heard much about it. It is true that getting engaged and getting married are two different things. As I understand, no two siblings can get married within the same year. I do not know why so don't ask. This means one of the kuyas will get married in 07 and one in 08?

I have a brother getting married in Melbourne soon too. I do not know the date yet but I think it may be early 07. Actually their situation have changed and I'm not sure if they are still getting married in Melbourne.

My sister is getting married in November. Now this occasion will be interesting. First of all she invited some of my cousins back in the Philippines. If the email distribution list is an indication of who is coming, then I'll be seeing at least 3 cousins from pinas whom I have not seen in a very long time. So far I'have not seen Debbie, Dorothy, and Jacobb. We don't hang out very often with these cousins. Debbie was really small back then. So she is pretty much a stranger to me. Dorothy and Jacobb are siblings and both doctors. It was their father's dream for both of them including their third sibling to all have the title "Dr". In fact he extended this dream to me and my sister. Sorry to disappoint but I'm not one. Although I'm very good at Doctoring things from images to emails so I suppose I might as well be one. But My brother managed to accomplish this so in a way I've passed the buck on him.

In addition to my cousins, she invited a couple of her old firends from pinas one of whom lives in San Fran and the other happens to be my ex-gf. She is now married with children though. So yes, like I said...it would be interesting.

1 comment:

Lovely Tots said...

Thanks Buddy! You've been a great friend in uni, and will always remember you my friend. :o)