Monday, March 20, 2006

Consistency?

We have this page on our site where all the competitions are and the folder is appropriately named "competitions".
 
However, in the interest of shortening this address and making it easier to remember, the address  I create a folder named "win" with a redirection to the first folder and this is printed in the magazine.
 
It's been running like that for years and suddenly just now, I got this demanding question from "Bastard" as if he is the know-it-all person..."Isn't it time we mvoe the competitions pages to the win folder? It will be more consitent."
 
I asked "consistent with what? Does it matter? People type www.url.co.nz/win and they still end up at the competitions page."
 
He said "well if people type the first address and end up in the second address, it is not consistent. Yes it does matter."
 
Of course I can hear his tone of voice that he is not backing off...so I said fine...I'll move it next time I work on it.
  
The question is, Does it really matter? I have lots of short cuts on my site. As a user of any site, does it really matter if the final address is not what you typed? I mean what if the address is www.url.co.nz/supercalifragislicexpialidocious. Surely you would want a short cut for that address...

 

2 comments:

Shakoo said...

It only matters if it is a major deviation from what is currently considered "best practice" for site/content management, with specific aim at the end user experience, and since there's no set standard as to how a site should be managed then b4stard is talking out his a$$

IMHO the shorter the url, the less likely the (l)user will get it wrong... 'sides, where does it say that directory structure-URL relationship must be consistent to make it a better? To make it more user-interactive? How often do you (as a user) pay specific attention to the URL of the page that you end up getting redirected to on a regular basis?

To me, at the end of the day, as long as I get to the site that I was after, then the URL is a secondary concern if not less...

Unknown said...

where does b4stard live?