Sunday, March 19, 2006

Zoolander

I did a bit of a Zoolander yesterday and went to a men's grooming/spa centre called Mensworks. I had a massage and a facial.

Actually I got there 15 minutes late but it doesn't matter. I already booked the room and so it was still free when I got there.

This was the first time I've gone for a massage here in NZ. The previous times were when I was in Bali for my honeymoon. Balinese massage in Bali was fairly cheap so I had at least 3 while I was there.

So got to Mensworks in Little High Street. The centre is inside through a mens clothing store. Got there and there were these two girls at the counter. The brunette ask me "Can I help you?". I said "Yes, name is Henson and I have a 10.30 booking...sorry I'm late". She said "No problem, we'll just take you straight through". The blonde left the counter. Thinking she was the "massage techinician", I turned and followed her but I stopped thinking maybe she's not...she turned around and said "follow me..."

So we proceeded to this room. She explained that because I was late that we can only have 45 mins of massage and 30 mins facial. She asked what body parts would you liked massaged. I didn't know what to say...don't they normally do full body? Never been to one here so I do not know how it works. She explained that I can have a back massage and perhaps the back of my legs. Thinking that the massage is more important than the facial, I said what if I just have a full hour of massage (so she can do the whole treatment) then I'll come back for a facial some other time. She agreed then asked me to stripped down to my underwear and lie down under the brown towel.

I wonder why the towels were brown. To hide dark stains perhaps or maybe it is just more manly than having white towels which presumably other spas have that are primary designed for women. Well I felt kinda weird because I got nothing on but my underwear and if she suddenly opens the door, everyone outside in the "salon" area would see me...so I quickly hid under the towel and stayed there feeling a bit silly...a couple of minutes later there was a knock, she came in...

While I was lying on the massage table, I changed my mind about the the full hour massage and said that I will have the 45 min swedish massage and 30 min facial. She does not have a problem with it...I guess she is prepared for everything in the massage room...to my right is a steamer for towels and a pot of magenta-coloured wax. Beside me is a floor standing face steam sauna device. Towards my head was a trolley which later I found to have rows of face products like cleansers and lotions.

Ok...she turned the CD player on...some soothing music and started...I felt a bit naked in front of a stranger but I guess I have the towel to cover me...she told me to turn around and face down while she lifted the towel...I thought "Hey, this looks familiar...I'm sure I've seen something like this on TV or in the movies before...". In case you arfe wondering...in Bali I wore shorts so I didn't feel as naked. She put the towel back on and I was getting comfortable until I felt that my underwear was being pulled ... she was folding the towel in with my briefs and pulled it a quarter way down...I never wore my jeans low so you can imagine how naked my butt crack felt. I started hearing some sloppy noises then felt her hands just above my butt cheeks.

The swedish massage, or at least her style, is not as hard as I thought. I thought it would be more painful. I did feel some tension but that soon disappeared. She also massaged the back of my legs which I always enjoy...(when I was younger my nanny massaged my arms and legs some nights before I go to sleep. It help relax me). After my legs, she also massaged the sole of my feet which I must say was very soothing. I've never had a feet massage like that before. Feet massages always focus on the top of the feet and not the sole...I'ma bit ticklish so I was trying quite hard not to move and giggle...actually the room was very quiet apart from the background music.

After the back massage she asked me to turn over again and its time for a facial...I always feel uneasy with facials as I do not like sloppy, greasy lotions on my face...facial treatment lotions are usually greasy...but since I'm already there...I ignored this greasiness and enjoyed the facial treatment. It was very relaxing to the face. It fact I kind of fell half asleep specially while I had the mask on and I was getting a scalp massage.

Oh before I forget...she asked me..."would you like me to tidy your eye brows". I thought sure...can't be that bad...she started doing something to my eye brows...it was warm so I thought she had a special tool. I did not feel any pain and in my mind I thought...yup this is ok...she paused for a moment then suddenly...."ZHIP!" .... yes she just waxed my eye brows...I can only imagine women waxing facial hair above the lip (using nads AS SEEN ON TV!) It must hurt a lot more.

Over all it was very relaxing... my face felt a bit more relaxed after the pain...weird...

After the treatment this is my conclusion and advice to all of you...every now and then it is definitely worth getting a massage. Facial...maybe for some of us who are a bit more Metrosexual. And if you do get a massage, the longer the better.

My brows look like this now...


1 comment:

B0LoG3R said...

some massage you had there ;)