Monday, November 07, 2005

Fireworks: Guy Fawkes revisted

Since my last posting about fireworks, I'm reconsidering my position regarding the legal status of fireworks.

Mainly because I am worried that education may not be enough to prevent disasters like these:

I'm afraid there is no hope for stupidity such as ones demonstrated by youths today. It is usually the combination of alcohol, peer pressure, boredom, and lack of education from parents.

There are several solutions to this problem and I do not think there is single solution that can solve all. Reviewing the law may now be necessary. Partial ban may be required. Increasing age restrictions.

I mentioned boredom above because youths today easily et bored. Why not let malls open later? I'd rather see children in malls than hanging out with peers plotting some crazy shit.

Peer pressure is probably one of the harder things to control. But parental education plays a part in this. As long as children are well educated by parents, kids will not easily give in to peer pressure.

I still think education plays an important part in preventing disasters during the fireworks season. So here is my bit in educating people young and old:

First, try to avoid getting drunk when playing with fireworks. Alcohol reduces your reaction time - i.e. your flight response goes down.

Second, never let your friends dare you into doing something dangerous. Do not let them tell you that it is ok and it is safe.

If you were held at gun point and were forced to have stick a rocket up your arse, try sticking the rocket further up so the sparks are at its furthest from your cheeks.

In case you weren't able to avoid 1 and 2, once the rocket is lit up...if you do start feelin' the heat, bending backwards will only make your arse hold on to the stick tighter. You will end up burning more of your arse...


And your arse will look like this...

And you my friend, can now be called a DUMB ARSE with a numb arse (and not so numb)!!!

No comments: