Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas Lunch

Today was our last day at work for this year. Most people at work didn't really work. Most fooled around, chatting, etc...every body was in holiday mood. Personally I am in holiday mood too but I had lots of work to do to make sure I've taken care of my "routine". The office will be close and I will not be able to come in.

Today was the day when most department heads/managers take their staff out to lunch or as some departments did, they had drinks in the office instead. Champagne bottles were popping everywhere around me.

Sadly, our department is the only one who do not practice this kind of festive season activity. Our manager does not believe in Christmas. I do not believe he is a Christian. Neither am I and most people in the office but everyone else celebrates Christmas or at least the past year.

The story was different last week though. Surprising, the manager told us all that he wants to take us all out to lunch. His exact words were he wants to "shout us to lunch" and that we should pick a day. He left it to our art director to pick a day and that she should pick the day most suitable based on our production schedule. I told her to pick thursday the 23rd as it is not only the last day of work but it is also a time when we would have finished all the work we need to do.

So she picked the day and I believe she told the manager. I believe the manager also invited a couple of people from outside our department. These two are the ones that hang out with him and the art director everyday. Somehow they feel like an outcast from their own department...or maybe they think they are too good for their department....who knows.

Anyway, so it was settled until today...noon came and I was hungry so I asked the art director about lunch and she said the manager haven't said anythign the whole morning and she thinks it is off. 12.30 came and I'm really hungry so I decided to buy my own lunch in the cafeteria. I was one of three who was having lunch there. Everyone else in the company is out with their department having lunch. A few minutes later, my manager went to lunch leaving me and my other male colleague in the building. He of course didnt have lunch as he was expecting a free lunch from the manager. The art director left at noon and decided not to return to work.

After lunch I carried on with the remaining of my work. My manager came back shortly after without saying anything.

Sad. I told someone this story and she said...your manager doesn't believe in rewarding you employees for all the hard work does he? I thought to myself...that is a spot on comment ....

Bah humbug to you too mr manager!

Have a Merry Christmas to everyone.

No comments: