Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do!!!!

Went to the PriceWaterhouseCoopers - Dame Malvina Major Emerging Artists - End-of-year concert (pause... deep breath)last nite at St. Matthews-in-the-City

4 performers did there thing, to varying degrees of success IMHO... Since I'm in no way an expert on opera and the sounds/singers therein, I'll just make comments on who/what I found interesting :-)

Paloma Bruce (who funnily turned out to be a girl that Thea had gone to high school with) - just freaked me out with a prolonged note/sound that I didn't think a human was possible of generating... It was similar to the sound that you hear when you turn a TV on... But higher in pitch and volume... Shook me up something wicked to the point where it made the hairs on my arms stand on end... All this sound coming from a mere slip of a girl, was rather awe-inspiring...

Sarah Wood - apart from her amazing voice, she had an impressive *ahem* set of lungs with which to captivate the audience ^_^ and the dress that she wor... Errrr, barely wore... Ummmm let's put it this way, she was in no way under-endowned :-) I'm not sure how her b00bs didn't pop out of her strapless gown, what with all the breathing/movement going on :-)

The other two performers Rebecca Crabtree and Malcolm Ede also did very well, but in my uninformed opinion, I think that Malcolm didn't choose songs which showed his skill at the lower registers so...

The amount of effort that goes in to opera, always astounds me, and seeing it from that close, you gain more appreciation from seeing the level of facial expression and physical grace that emanates from them...

At the end of the evening (which lasted for nearly 2 hours) - they got the audience to sing 2 carols of their choice. The first was "Away in a manger" followed by "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing". Nibbles and drinks ensued :-) stuck around for a while, then went and had chawarmas for dinner at the middle-eastern café on wellesley st.

All in all, not a bad nite at all :-)

No comments: