Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tube and train etiquette and other bits and bobs

Have I mentioned that Londoners are terrible with their manners? General observations include: bad service, bad manners, no respect for others (most of the time) - some people might call this cut throat?...but I think it is not as bad as NY (at least what I've seen on TV) when people just ram into you.

Anyway, as in most heavily populated cities, there are rules when you are in the train stations. I think there are rules in NY, Singapore and other places. Here in London, you have to stick to the right hand side of the escalator so the people who are in a hurry can walk up or down the escalator on the left side. As soon as you get off the escalator, there is a rule to keep left which hardly anyone follows. Sort of confusing too.

In the train, there are signs suggesting that you offer your seat to people who are less capable to stand like the elderly or pregnant people. But isn't this everyday manners our parents have taught us? That seems to be the nature of London though. I used to watch where I'm going until one day I realised that I was giving way to practically everyone. Last week I've started to behave like a Londoner and just kept on walking straight and let other people clear the path for me. Of course my nature kicks in every 5 minutes or so and I end up giving way again.

In restaurants or coffee shops, they all behave like they don't wanna be there. Well of course this is true for some of them but if you work in a restaurant, you are expected to provide service with a smile. Not here. they even roll their eyes or sigh heavily. If Woofman were here, he would have tried to get that person fired already...

The other week, I went to a department store called Debenhams. Bought a pillow. This indian looking guy served me and asked a question. I didnt quite understand as it was a mixture of indian accent with british tones plus whatever else is in there. He asked the second time and was referring to a loyalty card - asked if I have one. I said no. He offered to apply me for one to get discounts in the future. As I was in a hurry, I told him no. Then he tried again (maybe he gets some sort of commission?) I said no, I don't want to worry about it now. I'll do it later. He then let out this strong sigh and with an annoyed face he ask me for payment. If this was farmers in Auckland, I think I would have gotten this guy in trouble with the managers but here it is normal.

*sigh* :)

No comments: