Monday, August 29, 2005

All Blacks win!!!

Now that was a bloody brilliant game! A classic test match of nearly epic proportions :-)




AND! the new haka "Kapa o Pango" just went off!!! If you didn't watch the game, then you missed out on seeing the start of a new tradition. My workmate (who didn't watch the game) asked me a rather valid question - is Kapa o Pango a better haka than Ka Mate? and i had to pause on that one... currently, i'd have to say that i'd rather see the ABs perform Kapa o Pango as i can't get enough of it, but whether or not it's actually "better" as such? i'd have to say that one is as great as the other...

In case you're interested, here's the words and the translation... something new to try and learn ^_^

Kapa o pango kia whakawhenua au i ahau!
Let me become one with the land
Hi aue, hi!
Ko Aotearoa e ngunguru nei!

This is our land that rumbles
Au, au, aue ha!
And it's my time! It's my moment!
Ko Kapa o Pango e ngunguru nei!
This defines us as the All Blacks
Au, au, aue ha!
It's my time! It's my moment!
I ahaha!
Ka tu te ihiihi
Our dominance
Ka tu te wanawana
Our supremacy will triumph
Ki runga ki te rangi e tu iho nei,
tu iho nei, hi!

And will be placed on high
Ponga ra!
Silver fern!
Kapa o Pango, aue hi!
All Blacks!
Ponga ra!
Silver fern!
Kapa o Pango, aue hi, ha!
All Blacks!

2 comments:

Pogz said...

So I take it Kapa O Pango means "All Blacks"?

Shakoo said...

As far as i can tell, yes :-)

wheeee something new to learn :-)

which brings me to this question, who can remember the haka of their high school - obviously only relevant to those that went to high school in NZ... or how bout, your school song, which i guess would be more common? :-)