Saturday, August 06, 2005

An eventful day

Today was a pretty eventful day and in a way relaxing.

It started off this morning with a little cleaning around the house. Nothing much. Just vacuum the carpet here and there. Then went to shop for some groceries/food.

At around 10am I got a text from Shakoo saying that he is on his way to Ray's place. They are going to do some training - Kick boxing endurance training. I never planned to do some training but when I got there Shakoo convinced me to hold the pads for him. Ray was hodling it before hand but Shakoo has the strength of 3 Oxen and the start of training is when he is at his strongest. I didn't witness it part apparently Ray flew across the garage when he was holding the pads.

I didn't know what to expect as I've never held pads in training before and I wasn't sure what to expect being on the receiving end of the blows. Shakoo taught me the steps (1-8). I was quite confused at first but in the end I think I memorised it. So it began. In the first and second blow, I nearly hit myself in the face. I wasn't holding strong enough. I managed to get this in control pretty fast though. It was step 4 that pushed me back quite a bit. It is the leg kick and I swear I felt my bones bend upwards even with the 3 inch pads on. After a while I did get this in control as well. Since my body wasn't conditioned for this, I ended up with a bruise under my right forearm that is shaped like Shakoos shin bone (yes this is with padding). There was a funny moment when Shakoo was explaining step 5 to me. This is the knee step. I was joking around and wondering what will happen to him if I remove my arms. As it can cause injury, of course I didn't remove my arm but for some reason, Shakoo lifted his knee and was aiming at the ceiling. He somehow lifted his whole body, flipping backwards and landed on his right ass. It was so funny. I was like...."uhh...I didn't do anything..." I swear it is funnier to see it in action.

After both Ray and Shakoo finished, we had lunch. Yummy Caldereta and Chicken Sopas cooked my Dia's mum (thank you). We also had some Pulboron, and Bola de letse...then we played some Poker 2 ;)

We had fun playing Poker 2. It's been a while since we played. While playing Poker 2, we talked about lots of things (like our cards and who is in them). One that came up is Pandan. Shakoo does not know what Pandan is. We tried to explain to him but he still doesn't know. I researched it and I know this probably would help. Pandan leaves are apparently from the Screwpine tree. I have no idea what this tree is so don't ask. Try searching images.google.com and you'll see what they look like. If you know what Lemon grass looks like, it is not it. (Guys...it was funnier when said face to face...)

Anyway we concluded with more games of Poker 2 and I had to come home. Some friends are visiting and one of them is Nalini Singh (check out her blog). She is back from Japan. Actually, I think she did not believe that I had a huge blister from the train trip the other day that she decided to come and have a look herself.

As I'm writing this, my triceps hurt from the very brief time I held the pads. They are bulging sue to the buld up of lactic acid and man they feel good.

3 comments:

Shakoo said...

my right butt cheek still hurts :-)

thanks to all that participated in the version of endurance :-) henson did well to pick up the counts for the moves quickly, and i'm sure you'll be joining in next time :-)

ray seemed to actually have loosened up his torso more than when we were training together at BLG, nice solid punches! next time we'll have to work on not being distracted by comments from the *ahem* cheap seats :-)

thanks also to remmie for joining in at the beginning, showed some nice kicking speed, what i saw of it. we'll have to work on your hands a bit tho...

and of course, much thanks to the chef for the caldereta, sopas, bola de leche (aka. leche de bola, aka. puto seko, aka. these yummy round thingies) and the pandan (not lemon grass) polvoron...

Shakoo said...

oh and one other thing, ray didn't really fly back, he was just propelled backwards 2-3 metres 'cos of the way that he threw the 6 (frontal kick) - we sorted that out pretty quickly tho... and when he was holding the pads for the kicks, he only got shuffled side-ways a little bit :-)

but yeah, the only time that he got propelled backwards (and nearly into and over the washing machine/dryer) was when i was holding the pads and he threw the 6 at me when i was coming in...

Nalini Singh said...

All I have to say is ewwww!!! Never!!!