Monday, July 25, 2005

You get a lot for $3.80

Today, I had my first train ride in Auckland New Zealand.

It all started this morning. I was dropped off at work but my ride decided not to come back and take me home. So I had two options: the second being public transport.

I can really split the second option into 2 more. 2a = Bus and 2b=train. Since I've been wanting to experience the train service (or lack there of) for sometime now, I decided around noon to take the train.

It was a busy day for me. I had about a dozen things that I was doing at once. I planned to leave early as I usually do (I go to work early too) however, I got stuck with this problem and it bugged me for a long time. Actually I still have not solved it.

Come home time...I started walking from work to the Britomart station at around 5.05 pm. I thought it should be easy-peasy. But half way I started feeling pain on my left ankle. I usually do after I walk a distance. I blame it tothe time in Nam...

It is a nice walk. If I walk slower, I will actually enjoy the docked boats on the waterfront. But I had to walk fast as I am trying to get there in time for the 5.23pm departure. I foudn out in the end that this train terminate at New Lynn...

I got there around 5.22pm and I proceeded to line up to get my ticket. I look at the chart at the booth and it said "Stage 4 $3.60". When I asked the lady at the counter, she charged me $3.80. I thought..ok. 20c is fine. Maybe the sign is old.

Never mind. I went down to platform 5 where my train was suppose to be. I have 15 min of waiting...I must say. The station is quite confusing. You see all the platforms, there are signs, but there is only one time displayed, the closest departure. To add to the confusion, the trains are not marked. I saw the 5.23pm train leave and it was labelled "Special". What does this mean? Like VIP? Mental Patients only?

I waited and finally got on. All I can say is this, the Auckland rail system is so archaic. They still use a conductor who goes around clipping people's tickets. There is no magnetic card that you feed into turning arm barriers. Imagine during bus strikes, the conductor will probably be too overwhelmed.

I looked at the sign to make sure I know where to get off... It still a long way. I looked outside and it is already dark and to tell you the truth, without this sign you will have no idea where to get off. In most train stops, you cannot see the stand. In others there is no sign where you are. If you happen to take the wrong train, you may actually end up in Papakura!

The inside of the train is kinda like a plain but with a hint of the 80s trying to be modern. You can see that there are no railings for standing people to hold onto. Oh..this guy on the left...he works for Connex (I was told). Not sure what he is doing there. He is just sitting there with his iPod on... Maybe observing the passengers... He looks weird though. Kinda like someone from a cartoon. Big fluffy cheeks like Bill Ralston but without the cornflakes. Big roundish nose kinda like Elmer Fudd. Actually I heard him speak...he said "It's wabbit season!"

On the top right of the image you see a black panel. This is a LED sign board. Presumably it tells you what the next stop is but like in the photo, it is not working.

Finally I got to my destination and got off the train. As I step out of my train, I was amazed. The train stop is like an art gallery. Full of paintings, full of colour...here I'll show you.


At least it was well lit. You can appreciate the paintings even at night.

I finally got home. looked at my watch and it was 6.40pm. Just under an hour.

Let's see now - $.380 got me to look at the really nice Britomart train station - although I wish it was more technologically advanced. It looked more like and advanced museum with world war 2 stuff in it.
It got me to ride on the train that makes you nostalgic of the eighties not to mention a phobia attack if you are afraid of plane cabins.
Oh, it gave me a tour of Auckland suburbs from parnell down to New Lynn and up again to the Waitakeres...but I didn't get to see outside since the train stops are either not lit or not labelled so you don't really know where you are.
The Boston Rd stop is actually very dark. You know Boston Rd..where Mount Eden Prison is..in case ex-cons are there waiting, you won't be able to see their faces...How convenient.
Oh did I mention, we had to go backwards in Newmarket...I think the council is too lazy to build another train stop on the correct place...
oh and let's not forget about the art gallery(ies - I so some on the way)!!...
Finally I got home with 10 cents change.

In case you are wondering, this is my left heel.

Good on ya Auckland public transport, ARC, and Connex! No wonder everyone drives cars!

For those of you who felt inspired by this story, you can checkout the timetable for the train station near you. Go to Maxx.

5 comments:

Nalini Singh said...

You know, I could've lived my whole life without seeing the heel of your foot ;) Btw, could you not have clued me in to your handle a wee bit earlier????

Shakoo said...

eeewwwww duuuuude and here i am just about to eat dinner :-P

Shakoo said...

riiiiiiight... a healing heel :-P

Pogz said...

I think the heel is a nice addition.

Unknown said...

makes me appreciate melbourne public transport even more. alas, i still miss my car. :(