Sunday, August 07, 2005

Famous

Had a glimpse of NZ Idol while having dinner just now. I remembered a while ago about a conversation I had at work.

It all started with this f*cker at work. He says he hates being famous or rather he doesn't want to be famous. Reasons he gave varied which included the usual privacy from fans and 'stalkers'. He hates another guy who have been making himself famous on tv and the general media scene lately.

I said..."I do not mind being famous." The f*cker goes.."famous? for doing what?" I answered "Famous...anything really. Nothing in particular." I've ask myself then and I ask myself again now. Was this a normal question? If someone says that he does not mind being famous, do you normally ask that question? I personally think you don't. Mayb e you can ask them about the consequences of being famous such as how do you handle fame, time, media, ... etc... But not "for doing what?"

I guess if I knew I was gonna be famous for doing something, I would already have done it. I think there was more to his question. I believe he is envious of other people being famous. Especially those people who are in a similar profession as him. He has the habit of chopping down the tall poppy. If you ever need an example of tall poppy syndrome in NZ - this guys is it. I think he secretly loves being famous but he cannot fully embrace famous because he is not confident with the way he looks especially in front of the camera and TV. He's always got a problem with photos. Even if it is just for an ID card or something internal (in the office) for identification. Fair enough, he looks like a tortoise. I mean you give him a back pack and you'd think he is the Galapagos variety. I don't think he likes his picture being taken. He hides behind audio.

He always thinks he is right. If someone comes asking you questions...he would stick his nose in because he thinks he is the expert...well fair enough he's got some expertise on it but he does not let the person being asked the question to answer it. Kinda like ...hey spot light here please...I'm over here. I do not mind him answering. But it is the rudeness of it that bothers me.

Going back to being famous...I did think about his answer. I guess I wouldn't mind the question but he had this smirk that looks as if he is saying "Well I do not think you can be famous...If I should be the famous one. You must bow down to me."

He is one of those..."If I do not believe in what you believe then you must be wrong..."

No comments: