Saturday, October 08, 2005

Ghost in the machine

I was on my way to work two days ago when I stopped at the Nelson Street Off-ramp traffic light from the N'Western M'Way. I sat in the middle lane waiting for the light to turn green. It didn't take long. I changed into 1st gear and started rolling.

Suddenly, my engine went dead. I let go of the clutch and I felt the engine breaking. I stopped in the middle and for a few seconds I was blcoking everyone else on the road.

Shit!

I held the clutch in and pressed on my ignition and the engine started again. By this time the lights went red again so I stayed there until it was my turn to go. All the time I was sitting there, I reviewed what had happened in my head. It wasn't clear but due to the circumstances I concluded that I must have miscalculated my clutch release and the engine died. Simple.

Do you want to hear something freaky?

Tonight after work I was on my way home. I left work late so it was already dark and the motorway was pretty clear. It wasn't raining, thank goodness, but it was windy. So there I was on the N'Western M'Way heading Northwest...I was travelling at flight speed with my headlights on.

Approaching the waterview exit, all of a sudden my engine died. My headlights turned off. I was still in gear and since there is no power, the bike started slowing down. I cautiously proceeded changing lanes towards the shoulder...I was on the fast lane. I had to pull my clutch in just to make sure I can enough roll.

When I stopped safely on the shoulder. I thought, shit! I hope it is not my battery dying. I don't even recall leaving headlights on or draining the battery in some way. I remembered what had happened to me 2 days earlier. It looked familiar.

I looked at my dash and it was ll off. I tried to figure it out although I was not panicking. By accident I managed to turn the key and I saw the red light on the dash come on.

I paused - wait a second. How can the ignition be in the off position. I never turned it off. I was going at flight speed looking on the road and no where were my hands anywhere near the ignition key.

I turned the key and started the engine. The engine started first time.

But that's not all. Here is the weirder part...my dash back light is off because my headlights were off. How can this be. It was on. I always turn it on even during the day time and I certainly would turn it on at night. It was on as soon as I got out of the carpark...My headlight switch is one of those lever type and turns off when you pull the level towards the right. So even if I accidentally pushed the headlight switch, it would not have turned off.

How can:
1) My engine turn off by itself; my ignition turning into off position when I have not touched it while I was going at fligth speed?
2) My headlights turn off when I was nowhere near the switch and even if I was to accidentally push the switch, it would have gone to the "on" position?

the weirdest bit is, how can 1) and 2) happen at the same time?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

did you spot mulder or scully by the roadside whilst this happened to you on both occasion? nice story, mon ami! take it easy on the motorway. it's one thing that this happens in the suburbs, but in the fast lanes?

Shakoo said...

sounds like you might wanna get a new bike 'cos that one's haunted! :-)