Saturday, October 01, 2005

road rage

in recent times, i have learned to simmer down when ever i feel engaged in a heated argument, or when i can see the symptoms of this malady coming to a head. today, i neither had control nor the predisposition to rise above a case of road rage.

i was waiting for a parking space to be vacated by a shopper, and i reversed by a bit to make more room for him. as i look at the back, there's another car parked behind me. i thought, "plenty of room", so i did what i had to. then he honked at me with some degree of passion, which prompted me to release my seat belt prematurely. my mother, whose company i kept this afternoon, became anxious as she is aware of the Hulk fighting to get out. instead, i merely waited patiently in my seat, and tried to park the car gracefully as the previous occupant was leaving. but as i was driving in, the driver in the other car stared me down, and talked as if in a silent movie behind their shut windows. bad move. as soon as i parked the car, i marched to his direction, and naturally, we had a colourful exchange of words. my mother held me with her wisdom: "don't stoop down to their level". by then i knew i was doing more damage to us more than to anyone else. and i stopped.

2 comments:

Pogz said...

Don't stoop down to their level...I use that too. Like at my work. I tell mysefl don't stopp down to their level as they are only gossiping and all I need to do is to ignore them. But it does get to you. Because they need to learn a lesson. They need to know that just because you are reversing it doesn't mean you can't see them. They need to learn that once they honked their horns, the matter is closed because you reacted accordingly but by staring you down it is like putting salt on an injured man's wounds while they are down. One day they are going to get it.

Unknown said...

i'll save all the empty wine bottles that i can. let you and i toast to that, mon ami!